[GRASS-user] wanted: location parameters for modis import

Florian Kindl florian.kindl at uibk.ac.at
Mon Dec 10 12:19:27 EST 2007

Hello List!

I tried to import this image to GRASS GIS:
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2003239-0827/
Svalbard.A2003239.1300.250m.jpg

If you follow the "more info" link you'll see that the projection is
soemthing like a Lambert Azimuthal (equal area?) aver a sphere, not
an ellipsoid. Additionally, it's rotated.

I didn't manage to set up a location to import the file into with
these parameters. Does anyone have an advice on this?

r.in.gdal can't import the file directly, as it's rotated.
I tried gdalwarp to rotate the file by the information in its .jgw
file. r.in.gdal will then import the file but the problem of location
steup stays.

I want the image to end up in an UTM33-location, so the import
location has to be set up correctly for r.proj to perform nicely.

thanks in advance,
\flo.