[GRASS-user] Deleting Project Locations

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Dec 21 09:23:07 EST 2007

On 21/12/07 14:44, Kurt Springs wrote:
> Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I traveling home yesterday.
>
> Here is the strange part.  I created the locations on my G4 laptop a few
> days a ago and wanted to delete them.  When I launched GRASS-6.3 again I
> got the following message in Terminal:
>
> kurt-springs-powerbook-g4-17:~ kurtsprings$
> '/Applications/Grass/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'; exit
> Rebuilding Addon HTML manual pages index...
> Rebuilding Addon menu...
> Cleaning up temporary files.....
> access: No such file or directory
> ERROR: LOCATION << /Users/kurtsprings/grassdata/Connaght_Ulster >> not
>        available
> Starting GRASS ...
>
> I also got a pop up window with the heading "WARNING: invalid location"
> !   Warning: location <Connaght_Ulster> at GISBASE
> </Users/kurtsprings/grassdata> is not a directory or does not exist.

This message comes from the fact that in your .grassrc6 file, the
location Connaght_Ulster is marked as the currently selected location.
If it doesn't exist, GRASS gives you this message (I actually think that
this should be corrected, at least the message made clearer). Normally
you should be able to just click on ok and select another location and
never get this message again.

Another solution is to erase your .grassrc6 file and then run grass.

> When I put it back it is happy.  I have another location called
> Connaught_Ulster that I can move to the trash without any problems that
> I created at the same time.  I was not able to create a projection for
> the Connaght_Ulster location and GRASS does complain about that when
> ever it it is launched (which is why I want to delete it).   Could that
> have something to do with it?
>
> Also, I tried removing locations from my big computer at my apartment
> without any trouble.

If the location you remove is not referenced as the currently selected
one in the .grassrc6 file, then grass won't complain.

Moritz