[winGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] Re: Xganim errors in WinGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Feb 9 05:23:33 EST 2007

On 08/02/07 11:37, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>>> (general call for packagers)
>>> It would sure be nice if someone produced a GRASS 6.2.1 Cygwin binary.
>>> Currently the most up-to-date binary available for the Cygwin version
>>> is 6.1-cvs April 17, 2006. i.e. there is still no stable GRASS 6.2
>>> available for Windows users -- what's the problem? shared libs?
>> I think this is mainly due to the fact that we are not very far from a
>> real native windows version. I think dev efforts should rather be put
>> into that.
>
> Actually, I'd say that we're still quite a long way from having a
> *usable* native Windows version.
>
> Most of the people who have contributed to the native version don't
> normally use Windows[1]. Thus, they aren't likely to be as motivated
> to solve issues as would someone who actually has a *need* for a
> native Windows version.

Just to add to this: I think it is time that we publish a more recent
version of WinGRASS. The one which people get to now from the downloads
page is way out of date and any current version would be better than
that. In addition, this would allow us to have more alpha-testers.

Paul, as you are the one working most closely on WinGRASS do you want to
do this ?

If not, I am willing to try to publish a regular binary snapshot of
current CVS. I don't know if I can promise weekly, but I could try.

Moritz