[GRASS-user] Grass62 on X86_64

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 17 17:51:29 EST 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > OTOH, I could have sworn that someone was having problems quite
> > recently due to something (other than the PG driver) needing libpq.
>
> Maybe you are thinking of Huidae's WinGrass ? This was in September
> (http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2006-September/036381.html), so I
> don't know if this falls under "recently" ? ;-)

That might have been what I remembered.

> But so just to maje sure I understand: I can now build WinGrass directly
> with Postgres support ?

Yes.

AFAICT, the only things which shouldn't be enabled are FFMPEG,
readline, BLAS, and LAPACK, as those will add additional dependencies
to modules which work fine without them.

[Technically, the same is true for PNG; the PNG driver (and direct
rendering) will work without it, but only produce PPM output (gis.m
only requires PPM output). If you wanted to be *really* careful about
dependencies, you could build two versions of libpngdriver, with and
without PNG support.]

FFMPEG is a "heavy" dependency (like GDAL), which can have a lot of
dependencies of its own, all of which then become essential
prerequisites in order to use NVIZ. The BLAS and LAPACK dependencies
don't actually get you anything unless you are writing new code using
a handful of (currently unused) libgmath functions. Readline is
relatively painless, but if it *does* break, it breaks r.mapcalc which
in turn breaks a lot of scripts.

All of the other --with-* switches result in additional modules being
built. Obviously, those modules won't work if their dependencies are
absent or non-functioning, but there's no harm in including a module
which may not work rather than simply not including it.