[GRASS-user] Re: grassuser Digest, Vol 10, Issue 46

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 20:30:19 EST 2007

Bryan Main wrote:
> I am new to GRASS and have been having problems with the running of
> grass.  I have installed the grass6.2.2cvs from the site on a Ubuntu
> 6.0.6.  I can get to the screen where it asks the location and
> mapsets.  I have loaded the mapset for spearfish60 to play with and
> get used to grass.  However after I get to where the button to "Enter
> GRASS" come available and press it I get the following:
..
> Starting GRASS ...
> /usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/etc/Init
> line 5 67:
> /usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/bin/g.gi
> senv:
c annot execute binary file
..
> and it kicks me out.

Apparently the binary package is somehow broken for you. 32 or 64 bit
computer?

> I don't know what else to try as I've tried to find some of the
> needed libs,

here are some older instructions for building GRASS from the source
code, they are for Debian but should be mostly the same.
  http://hamish.bowman.googlepages.com/debiangisfiles#compile

> I am willing to switch Linux versions if need be

Ubuntu should be ok.

Hamish