[GRASS-user] Lock problem

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jul 9 11:04:04 EDT 2007

This also can happen if you made a location, set GRASS to point at that
location, then deleted the location from the OS.

Check in your ~/.grassrc6 file to see if it is pointing to a location and or
mapset that doesn't exist. If so, you can set it to a valid location/mapset
or simply delete the location and mapset lines (make sure that you get rid
of any empty lines too.)

Michael

On 7/8/07 7:35 PM, "Hardeep Singh Rai" <hardeep at eml.cc> wrote:

> On Ubuntu Feisty, default GRASS6.0.2, was working fine.
>
> Following http://les-ejk.cz/ubuntu/ I upgraded to GRASS6.2
>
> I worked fine once, but later on invoking it gave following problem:
>
> ----------
> LOCATION_NAME not set.
> /usr/lib/grass/etc/init.sh:573:/usr/lib/grass/etc/lock: permission
> denied
> Unable to properly access ///.gislock
> -------------
>
> In my own wisdom(?) I deleted lock file and created with 777
> permission. This did not solve problem.
>
> I uninstalled GRASS6.2, and installed GRASS6.0.2 from default Ubuntu
> repositories, but found it still gives lock problem.
>
> How to get rid of this LOCKED problem.

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University