[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] thanks to GRASS!

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 04:31:48 EDT 2007

This is from Elsevier's web site:

What rights do I retain as a journal author*?

As a journal author, you retain rights for large number of author
uses, including use by your employing institute or company. These
rights are retained and permitted without the need to obtain specific
permission from Elsevier. These include:

    * the right to make copies (print or electric) of the journal
article for their own personal use, including for their own classroom
teaching use;
    * the right to make copies and distribute copies (including via
e-mail) of the journal article to research colleagues, for personal
use by such colleagues (but not for Commercial Purposes**, as listed
below);
    * the right to post a pre-print version of the journal article on
Internet web sites including electronic pre-print servers, and to
retain indefinitely such version on such servers or sites (see also
our information on electronic preprints for a more detailed discussion
on these points);
    * the right to post a revised personal version of the text of the
final journal article (to reflect changes made in the peer review
process) on the author's personal or institutional web site or server,
incorporating the complete citation and with a link to the Digital
Object Identifier (DOI) of the article;
    * the right to present the journal article at a meeting or
conference and to distribute copies of such paper or article to the
delegates attending the meeting;
    * for the author's employer, if the journal article is a 'work for
hire', made within the scope of the author's employment, the right to
use all or part of the information in (any version of) the journal
article for other intra-company use (e.g. training), including by
posting the article on secure, internal corporate intranets;
    * patent and trademark rights and rights to any process or
procedure described in the journal article;
    * the right to include the journal article, in full or in part, in
a thesis or dissertation;
    * the right to use the journal article or any part thereof in a
printed compilation of works of the author, such as collected writings
or lecture notes (subsequent to publication of the article in the
journal); and
    * the right to prepare other derivative works, to extend the
journal article into book-length form, or to otherwise re-use portions
or excerpts in other works, with full acknowledgement of its original
publication in the journal.

so we _can_ post the pre-print versions.

Carlos

On 7/12/07, Daniel Calvelo <dca.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Been there. You sign a copyright transfer to the publisher on the
> finished article, after any rounds of corrections. So you still own
> the copyright to the pre-prints.
>
> From there to release those under CC licences, it's legally possible.
> Indeed, see: http://romeo.eprints.org/publishers.html for a list of
> those publishers that have explicitly stated they encourage this.
>
> Daniel.
>
> On 7/11/07, Carlos Guâno Grohmann <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I vaguely remember of somewhere in Elsevier's site where it said that
> > authors even could put the pdfs on personal home-pages, but that the
> > prefence was for Elsevier to distribute it..
> >
> > So, yes, it is not legal to put the pdfs on the wiki. BUT it's OK to
> > put the pdfs of the _uncorrected proofs_ (not sure about the corrected
> > proofs).
> >
> > So I guess we can set up a page in the wiki with a list of references,
> > BibTeX entries, pdfs of uncorrected proofs, and a link (DOI) to the
> > journal.
> >
> > Carlos
> >

> > On 7/11/07, Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think there could be some legal issues.
> > >
> > > I.e. from COMPUTERS & GEOSCIENCES Guide for Authors [1] "e) if
> > > accepted, will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English
> > > or in any
> > > other language, without the written consent of the Publisher."
> > > IANAL but putting article PDF on wiki may be threated as "publishing"?
> > >
> > > Maris.
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/398/authorinstructions

> > --
> > +-----------------------------------------------------------+
> >               Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
> >   Visiting Researcher at Kingston University London - UK
> >   Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
> > Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
> >

> --
> -- Daniel Calvelo Aros

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Visiting Researcher at Kingston University London - UK
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke