[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] thanks to GRASS!: posting copies of "copyrighted" works

Charles Ehlschlaeger c.ehlschlaeger at insightbb.com
Fri Jul 13 16:20:13 EDT 2007

I DO have a "rough draft" of my COMPUTERS & GEOSCIENCES article posted on my
website. That rough draft was then edited and published in that journal.
Based on the instructions at that time, what I did was perfectly legal and
fine. It would be wrong of me to use their digital or analog versions, in
any way, to modify or improve my draft. Changes made to my rough draft would
then be infringing on "their" (copyrighted) work.

One safe way of looking at it, once C&G has accepted a paper for
publication, you should not make any changes to the draft you sent in.
Otherwise, you would be in danger of exploiting their work.

Some journals are more strict than C&G: so this isn't even a blanket rule.

Sincerely, chuck

Chuck Ehlschlaeger, Associate Professor & GIS Center Director
Department  of  Geography,      Western  Illinois  University
215 Tillman Hall,   1 University Circle,  Macomb,  IL   61455
cre111 at wiu.edu,    phone: 309-298-1841,     fax: 309-298-3003