[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] thanks to GRASS!: posting copies of "copyrighted" works

J Dougherty jwd at surewest.net
Fri Jul 13 18:41:52 EDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 13:20, Charles Ehlschlaeger wrote:
>  It would be wrong of me to use their digital or analog versions, in
> any way, to modify or improve my draft. Changes made to my rough draft
> would then be infringing on "their" (copyrighted) work.

Precisely what I was saying.  The original draft, or a version modified by you
without "their" help, is still yours and your copyright, and can be handled
in any way you wish.  But they can get real hinky about the use of "their"
work.  Just out of curiousity, does C&G pay their authors?  There some
journals that don't and insist on copyright assignments any way.  Apparently
the "recognition" the author gets is considered compensation enough.

I think a GRASS library accessible on-line would be a really important tool
for any GRASS user.  You can always add errata pages for corrections you want
to introduce to a draft, or annotate textual differences between your draft
and any published version.  That would go toward fair use under any rules I
know of; it's standard citation practice.

JWDougherty