[GRASS-user] HDL import problem

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jul 23 04:04:13 EDT 2007

sm399 at cam.ac.uk wrote on 07/20/2007 06:58 PM:

> Dear Users,
>
> the problem I am trying to solve is not directly connected to GRASS
> (although what I am trying to do is to extract info from a volume and
> then import it into GRASS), but I was hoping there might be someone in
> the community that has experience with the same kind of data.
>
> I have been given some GPR geophysics data to visualise and use for
> vector
> extraction in Paraview. The data was put together as parallel
> transects to
> create a 3D volume with EKKO_3D. It was then imported and saved in T3D
> as a
> volume HDF and it is saved with an extension .HDL.
>
> I tried to import it into Paraview directly without success. I have also
> been trying to find if there is a way to convert an hdf file into .hd5
> but
> have been unsuccessful in the endeavor. T3D can also store data as
> .raw but
> even in this case I could not find the right translator to import it into
> Paraview.

Stefania,

I don't know anything about EKKO_3D, T3D or .HDL but I see that GDAL
appears to partially (?) support HDF volumes:

bartok:gdal[12761.3] grep -i vol frmts/hdf4/*
frmts/hdf4/hdf4imagedataset.cpp:             an image at a time to form
a volume.
frmts/hdf4/hdf4imagedataset.cpp:             A rank 4 dataset may be
thought of as a series of volumes.
frmts/hdf4/hdf4imagedataset.cpp:            case 4:     // 4Dim: volume-time
frmts/hdf4/hdf4imagedataset.cpp:            case 3: // 3Dim: volume
frmts/hdf4/hdf4imagedataset.cpp:                  case 4: // 4Dim: volume
frmts/hdf4/hdf4imagedataset.cpp:                  case 3: // 3Dim: volume
frmts/hdf4/hdf4imagedataset.cpp:                  case 3: // 3Dim: volume

What does 'gdalinfo' say about this data set? That's probably the
starting point.

ciao
Markus