[GRASS-user] r.out.gdal not working

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon May 7 05:59:50 EDT 2007

Tom Russo wrote on 05/06/2007 07:31 PM:
> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 03:54:34PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <glynn at gclements.plus.com> flavor, containing:
>
>> This probably means that the GDAL library was built without GRASS
>> support. This is quite common, as GRASS is one of the harder options
>> to support. GRASS itself requires GDAL, so building a version of GDAL
>> which supports GRASS involves first building GDAL without GRASS
>> support, then building GRASS, then building GDAL again with GRASS
>> support.
>>

> Isn't the gdal-grass plugin still the preferred way to get GRASS support into
> gdal?
Yes. See
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Compile_and_install_GRASS_and_QGIS_with_GDAL/OGR_Plugin

>   The "build gdal without grass, build grass, rebuild gdal" thing is a
> real PITA, and the plugin is much easier.

Yes.
> I haven't upgraded GDAL since 1.3.2, though --- does the plugin still work
> with GDAL 1.4.0?

There are issues with GRASS 6.3-CVS and the latest published plugin due
to an API change in GRASS.
This has been resolved in GDAL-SVN and the updated plugin will hopefully
be published soon.
Since GRASS 6.2 was asked, this is unrelated.

Markus