[GRASS-user] GRASS on Ubuntu

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Nov 5 16:03:40 EST 2007

Darrel Maddy wrote:

> I am currently running GRASS on Ubuntu 7.04 in a virtual machine using
> virtual box (also free) running under Vista x64 ultimate- not free :).
>
> This is a great way to run GRASS if you want seemless integration with a
> windows host. They can share directories.
>
> I have built an Ubuntu/GRASS6.3/QGIS VM for virtual box which I could
> upload to my website for downloading if anyone is interested?
>
> I'm assuming I can do this legally?

The main requirement with providing binaries of GPL/LGPL software is
that the source code is available "from the same place" as the
binaries (i.e. you can't just provide a URL to the source on a
different site).

If you're providing a complete VM image including the OS, the
requirement to provide full source code could be fairly onerous.

The fact that the software runs on a proprietary OS isn't an issue.