[GRASS-user] import e00? sorry for repeat topic, but...

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:32:37 EST 2007

> Here is my problem. I have a few e00 rasters from ArcGIS. When I view
> them in ArcMap, everything is fine. When I import using GRASS, with
> avcimport and e00conv installed, the maps display properly (I can see
> the different categories, etc.). However, the z value is simply a *.
> So when I query the file in a monitor, I get UTM-X | UTM-Y | *

The * value is for NULL data.  Is there any region clipping occurring or
MASK applied?  Someone else may be able to intelligently speak to the issue
of data displaying ok (colors/categories) but having a NULL data value.
That I cant understand.  Is your location setup properly, with broad enough
extents to encompass the raster?

> Clearly, this is not the intended outcome! I do not get errors during
> the import, and I have tried exporting the e00 in different formats
> from ArcCatalog, and wondered if I should be converting my files to a
> different format instead of dealing with ESRI e00?

I had some issues with the e00's.  I cant recall specicifally.  for best
raster interoperability, I found the in Arc, you can export to raster to
ASCII (.txt file by default) or export from GRASS as ASCII (*.txt), and use
the conversion toolbox "from raster/to raster" to import export.

> The other thing I attempted is to convert the e00 to an ASCII file in
> ArcInfo, then to import the ESRI ASCII in GRASS. Again, same result
> as above.

I'd stick with the ASCII grid file for interchanging.

> Am I having projection issues? Do I need to first import the e00/
> ASCII to a mapset with the same projection settings as the original
> e00, then re-project, or is this unrelated? I think I had tried that
> already, with the same result as above, but am willing to try again
> if need be.

Is all your data in the same projection?  What projection is your
GRID/raster in, and what projection is your other data in?

> What other conversion options may work from within Arc?

for rasters, I found the ASCII GRID format to be the best for
importing/exporting data.