[GRASS-user] import e00? sorry for repeat topic, but...

Brandon M. Gabler bgabler at email.arizona.edu
Mon Nov 19 14:30:26 EST 2007

I solved the problem by once again exporting from Arc in ASCII
format, and importing the .txt file with r.in.arc. But I'll answer
the questions posed earlier to clarify the issues for anyone else's
future reference!
(And, since I completely eliminated my version info from the original
posting, here's what it was: OS X, GRASS 6.3 from Kyngesbury's build,
but not the most recent one (I'm updating today)).

> Here is my problem. I have a few e00 rasters from ArcGIS. When I view
> them in ArcMap, everything is fine. When I import using GRASS, with
> avcimport and e00conv installed, the maps display properly (I can see
> the different categories, etc.). However, the z value is simply a *.
> So when I query the file in a monitor, I get UTM-X | UTM-Y | *
>
> The * value is for NULL data.  Is there any region clipping
> occurring or MASK applied?  Someone else may be able to
> intelligently speak to the issue of data displaying ok (colors/
> categories) but having a NULL data value.  That I cant understand.
> Is your location setup properly, with broad enough extents to
> encompass the raster?

I was importing to a location that was created with other files of
the same extent/projection, and I've been using the location for
quite some time. Again, until I re-tried the ASCII version, the other
e00 imports were problematic. No region clipping, and no mask.

> Clearly, this is not the intended outcome! I do not get errors during
> the import, and I have tried exporting the e00 in different formats
> from ArcCatalog, and wondered if I should be converting my files to a
> different format instead of dealing with ESRI e00?
>
> I had some issues with the e00's.  I cant recall specicifally.  for
> best raster interoperability, I found the in Arc, you can export to
> raster to ASCII (.txt file by default) or export from GRASS as
> ASCII (*.txt), and use the conversion toolbox "from raster/to
> raster" to import export.

This is what I will do from now on with GRID files - it certainly
seems to be the smoothest way to go.

> The other thing I attempted is to convert the e00 to an ASCII file in
> ArcInfo, then to import the ESRI ASCII in GRASS. Again, same result
> as above.
>
> I'd stick with the ASCII grid file for interchanging.
>
> Am I having projection issues? Do I need to first import the e00/
> ASCII to a mapset with the same projection settings as the original
> e00, then re-project, or is this unrelated? I think I had tried that
> already, with the same result as above, but am willing to try again
> if need be.
>
> Is all your data in the same projection?  What projection is your
> GRID/raster in, and what projection is your other data in?

Yep. All NAD83 state plane feet, New Mexico.

> What other conversion options may work from within Arc?
>
> for rasters, I found the ASCII GRID format to be the best for
> importing/exporting data.

Thanks again.
Brandon