[GRASS-user] 3D Geometry and multiple import

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 02:36:35 EST 2007

aswin indraprastha  wrote:
> However, I have new basic question, in Grass GIS in principal :
> When importing 3D model using v.in.dxf, is Grass support multiple
> import with the same location?

Sorry I don't quite understand, could you explain more what it is you're after?

ie What does the DXF input look like?

Multi layers in DXF file? Do you mean the same x,y,z location in space or as in
GRASS's mapset location?

> I am dealing with city model, and I want to import each of 3D building
> into grass, instead of using extrude facility. I already had site plan
> georeferenced in Grass as vector map, and I want to place 3D model
> from CAD software to each building's lot .

Are the DXF coordinates at all georeferenced? If not, you will have to use
v.transform to do it. (see also the new tcl/tk georeferencing tool)
If the coordinates are correct but e.g. negative, it's an easy job with
v.transform.

Maybe you could write a script to create v.transform params between selected
footprint and input building?  Use a Machine Vision shape matching algorithm?

> Is it possible?

I have imported a large DXF with v.in.dxf for NYC:
 http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/screenshots/nyc3d_nviz3_midtown.png

(but not 1 building at a time!)

Hamish