[GRASS-user] How to compile addons on a Cygwin system?

Roland Pape pape at giub.uni-bonn.de
Wed Nov 21 07:09:36 EST 2007

Hallo everybody,

yet another newbie question: I would like to compile several addons
(gipe, hydrofoss, r.sun_horizon) for my GRASS 6.2.2 that runs on a
Windows machine under Cygwin.

As I have installed GRASS from within the Cygwin setup, it seems to me
that I have no GRASS source code: The "make" command failed because of
"Makefile:9: ../../include/Make/Module.make: No such file or directory".
- That's right, there is no such directory on my machine. That's why
Markus' tip from below does not work. Do I have to download and compile
the source code of GRASS (there I found such a folder) before compiling
any addons?

Recently, I have installed GEM in order to facilitate the usage of
addons without having the source code of GRASS. But there, I got lost
with the gipe-addon while "All you need to do is copy your source files,
scripts etc. into the appropriate places in the src directory". Where
are these appropriate places? It seems logic to place e.g. any i.xyz in
the imagery folder, but the rest?

I appreciate any hints!

Thanks in advance,

Roland

Roland Pape
Climatology and Landscape Ecology Section
Department of Geography
University of Bonn