[GRASS-user] Re: GRASS freezes with OpenSuse 11.0

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 00:58:01 EDT 2008

Bill Baker wrote:
> I have the same problem with GRASS 6.3.0 downloaded from grass.itc.it
> under OpenSuse 11.0 32-bit. I have latest GDAL, Postgresl etc.
>
> Francesco Teodori has created 32-bit rpm's for Suse 11 and GRASS 6.3.0,
> so he must know what we are doing wrong. I have not tried the rpm's:
> http://teodori.org/repository/grass/opensuse11.0/current/32bit/grass-6.3.0-1opensuse11.0.i586/download.html
>
> I have the same freeze problem with GRASS 6.2.3 and GRASS 6.3.0-svn from
> 2 weeks ago, both downloaded from grass.itc.it, so the freeze problem is
> not specific to either 6.3 release or 64-bit. Something in OpenSuse 11
> must be the trouble, but what?

Is there an error message shown in the terminal window?
e.g. something about libgdal.so? or missing nsres() variable?

can you start in text mode ('grass63 -text') and run 'g.region -p'?

I expect there is some build error with those binaries, or GDAL libraries
on your system have been updated to a newer version than those binaries
were built with and are now incompatible.

I see on the download site there is a new grass-6.3.0-13.1.i586.rpm
added three days ago. Perhaps that solves it?

Hamish