[GRASS-user] d.rast.edit does not save edited map although Save button is pressed

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Dec 16 10:15:04 EST 2008

georgew wrote:

> >> Hi, I must be doing something wrong with the following:
> >>
> >> d.rast.edit input=track21_rast at PERMANENT output=track21_edited_rast
> >> aspect=contours21_rast at PERMANENT width=640 height=480 size=12 rows=200
> >> cols=200 --overwrite
> >>
> >> The edited data is not saved in the output map which remains identical to
> >> the input map, although I pressed the Save button in the grid display.
> >>  All the data is in my home directory (and anyway using "sudo
> >> d.rast.edit"
> >> results in "d.rast.edit not found" error.)
> >> Any clues what I might be doing wrong. ?
> >
> > What is the nature of the editing? If the only changes are setting
> > specific cells to null, that's one thing which d.rast.edit can't
> > handle. You would need to set the cells to some unused value then
> > subsequently change them to nulls with r.null.
> >
> > If you're changing cells to non-null values, then I don't know what
> > the problem is.
>
> thanks Glynn, here is what I am doing. After I type the command two new
> windows open up: one a grid with a faint outline of the input raster maps,
> the other what I consider to be a navigation window, to help displaying on
> the grid the area to be edited.
> I want to extend the track21_raster map line, a walking track. So I click on
> the cell nearest to the last colored cell in the grid and enter the two
> category values I have, in the bottom grid display boxes: one called value
> (I enter a 1, the track segment value), the other aspect (I enter the
> elevation, 640) then press enter. (There is a third box called also Value,
> which I leave blank as I don't know what to place there!).

You can't enter values into the Value and Aspect fields on the top row
(it may let you type into them, but it won't have any effect).

You choose the new value either by right-clicking on a cell (to use
that cell's value), or by typing the cell value into the Value field
on the bottom row (to the left of the colour sample).

You can then set cells to the chosen value by left-clicking on the
cells.