[GRASS-user] Permission denied (again!)

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 22:38:26 EST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Nikos Alexandris wrote:

[...]
> 2. Launching grass63 (release fetched with svn,
> configured-compiled-installed) does not have any problems.

Is that not a good solution to your problems then? The location creation
through the start-up GUI was all very experimental prior to 6.3; a lot of
things have been cleaned up since 6.2 - and the changes were too
complicated and extensive to be easily backported.

> My questions is:
>
> What is the difference when creating a new LOCATION in text mode from
> trying to do so with the GUI (EPSG's or Georef.file)?

The GUI uses g.proj in the background; "Create using projection values"
uses $ETC/set_data. They both create new locations but do so in completely
different ways and the locations they create are slightly different in
several subtle ways - hopefully these days we've ironed out most of the
incompatibilities between them. But note that you can also run g.proj from
the command-line if you want - check the man page for details; it has lots
of options for creating new locations and the GUI is just another layer on
top of this.

Paul