[GRASS-user] Problem with v.digit

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 22:53:15 EST 2008

yazid bekti wrote:
> Hello , i'm undergraduate and for my research of
> landscape i using the v.digit to digit the satelite
> image, but i find very difficult to use this tool
> (maybe because i don't have the basic concept). i have
> using common boundary but still some time there
> problems because the area won't close (stiil gray
> color, i dont change the color of v.digit). can
> someone tell me how to use this tool and where should
> i start the digit. In the middle of satelite image or
> in the corner.
> thank you very much

probably you have found one of two frustrating features in the GRASS 6
Tcl digitizer: when you digitize an area it won't snap the endpoints
together. You have to put the last point near to the first, then switch
to the "move vertex" tool and move the last onto the first. Then it
will snap closed and the line should turn green. Don't forget to place
a centroid in the closed area, containing the area's category number.

(the other frustrating feature being you can't pan around without
dropping out of digitizing mode)

hopefully these can be fixed with the brand new wx digitizer currently
under development.

hope that helps,
Hamish