[GRASS-user] v.in.ogr fails on dbf with long column names

Craig Leat Craig at pid.co.za
Fri Jan 11 07:42:49 EST 2008

Hi

I have a shapefile and attributes in a dbf file. The dbf has two columns
where the first ten characters of the column names are identical. The dbf
driver appears to only consider the first ten letters of the name and so
v.in.ogr fails reporting that two columns have the same name. Is there a way
to only import selected columns? I could also delete a column before
importing, but I am lacking some basic DBase know how so any pointers will
be greatly appreciated.

BTW the dbf is too big (94,000 rows) to load into OpenOffice Calc.

Regards

Craig