[GRASS-user] How to feed input to grass62 -text?

Nithi, Nachi K (Karun) karun at research.bell-labs.com
Tue Jul 22 21:49:56 EDT 2008

Dear All,
 I raised the following question in Volume 27, Issue 40 of grass digest.

Environment:  I have grass6.2.1 on a redhat linux.

>	Q1. I want to create a location and a mapset via a shell script.
I can create it by invoking
> grass in a text mode (or gui interface mode) and then stepping through
several screeens (location ,
> mapset input in the 1st screen, projection in the next screen,
bounding box for the region in the
> 3rd screen and so on). I am wondering whether it is possible to do all
in a script by invoking a
> set of commands. If so what should be the sequence of commands.

I am thankful for Glynn Clements and Nikos Alexandris for their input.

Now I have a slightly different version of the question Q1.

  If I invoke in text mode as 'grass62 -text' inside a shell script and
want to feed all input information from that script, will it work? I
tried the following script but it does n't work.

----- begin script ---
#!/bin/sh
set -x
# path to GRASS binaries and libraries:
export GISBASE=/usr/grass-6.2.1
export PATH=$GISBASE/bin:$GISBASE/scripts:$PATH
#for libraries:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:$GISBASE/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

# run grass in text mode and feed input
/usr/bin/grass62 -text <<GRASSINPUT
TestMapLocation^M
PERMANENT^M
/home/myhome/GRASSDATA^M
^[
y^M
y^M
B^M
y^M
A Test Map Location^M
y^M
y^M
wgs84^M
1^M
40.121141^M
39.839810^M
-75.386610^M
-74.980316^M
^M
^M
^[
y^M
^M
^C
GRASSINPUT

echo "Created  a Mapset at
/home/myhome/GRASSDATA/TestMapLocation/PERMANENT\n"
exit
------ end of script -----

When I run I am getting the following error: