[GRASS-user] Re: updating from GRASS from svn Unable to locate curses includes

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 01:05:19 EDT 2008

Wohoo! Now it running.

One last question, I have checked out from svn the grass-addons
particularly the imagery.  How do I add them in the compilation?

cheers,
maning

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Hamish wrote:
>
>> these instructions should help:
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Platform_Specific_Notes
>>

>> one thing there I don't understand: it recommends to do:
>>   CFLAGS="-g" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure
>>
>> -g adds debugging hooks, but -s strips away debug messages.  ???
>> (to quote tom waits: the large print giveth and the small print taketh away)
>
> The LDFLAGS=-s part is bogus.
>
> It used to be a common recommendation to counteract the fact that
> configure defaults to "-g -O2" if the compiler is gcc. You wouldn't
> use -s if you actually want the debug info.
>
> Also, stripping the debug info is a false economy unless you're
> seriously short of hard disk space. If you have your own PC (and it
> doesn't belong in a museum), your disk space is likely to be measured
> in hundreds of gigabytes, of which binaries (libraries and
> executables) might account for around a gigabyte if *everything* is
> built with debug info.
>
> The only cases where stripping debug info makes sense is if you're
> using a shared server with a miniscule quota, or if you're building a
> binary distribution and you really need to minimise the size (FWIW, I
> keep the debug info for the Cygwin packages).
>
> For normal use, stick with "-g -O2". That produces optimised binaries
> but keeps the debug info just in case you need to do minimal debugging
> (e.g. make sense of a core file). If you want to actually debug the
> program (set breakpoints, single step, examine variables etc), then
> you need to drop the -O2, as it will result in object code which bears
> little relation to the actual source code, and can only be debugged in
> the most superficial sense.
>
> --

| __.-._ |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda |
| '-._"7' |"Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden|
| /'.-c |Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/ |
| | /T |http://esambale.wikispaces.com|