[GRASS-user] How does v.category work?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Nov 10 22:20:24 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 03:11 +0100, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> I face (I think) the problem described by Christian in this thread
(last
> post).
> http://www.nabble.com/Reorg-cat-entry--td18505187.html#a18507936
>
> # I want to upload some raster values (using v.what.rast) in my
> fgaps_centroids map.
> # The "cat" of the "fgaps_cwntroids" map starts with the value "2",
thus
> the upload fails
> # attempting to upload
> v.what.rast fgaps_centroids raster=elevation_m column=z
>
> WARNING: Raster type is integer and column type is float
> WARNING: No record for category 0 in table
>          <fgaps_shadows_nik_copy_centroid>
> 7284 categories loaded from table
> 1 categories loaded from vector
> 1 categories from vector missing in table
> 0 duplicate categories in vector
> 0 records updated
> 0 update errors
>
> # trying to re-assign categories in fgaps_centroids
> v.category in=fgaps out=fgaps_DEL option=del
> ## The output map is identical with the input.
> ## So repeating v.category with "option=add" doesn't make anything
> ## The output map with option=del as well as with option=add start
with
> cat=2 !?
>
> I read the manual, all possible post I found in the archive but it
> doesn't make any sense why it doesn't work.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Kind regards, Nikos

The only thing I could do was to remove link between map and table
(v.db.connect -d), export the table (using sqlitebrowser) as .csv, edit
in Gnumeric, import back, re-connect (v.db.connect) map with edited
table.

It's not the "correct" solution I guess... but I tried everything else
and nothing worked (v.category, v.reclass, v.to.db).