[GRASS-user] Scripting i.ortho.photo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 11:09:07 EDT 2008

Andy Harfoot wrote:
> Unfortunately photo.rectify is interactive still so I think there's
> modification to the code required before it can be executed using
> parameters alone.

in photo.rectify, is it just the setting of the corresponding output map
names which is needed before the calculation begins, or is there more
to fill in past that first screen?

imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.rectify/ask_files.c has some complication in
it, so I am not sure how easily "i.rectify {-a|input=}" style options
could be added. Probably not as bad as it looks.

> I think photo.rectify is the key as all the other elements of the
> i.ortho.photo sequence generate text files in the group directory to
> store the parameters, and these could be created independently

so that's the only one that takes much computational time right?

I have just done a bit of code cleanup on the i.ortho.photo modules in
6.4svn and fixed a few small bugs. Hopefully I didn't break anything new.
You may wish to update.

devs:
ALL of the i.ortho.photo sub-modules are interactive currently, either
using V_ask lib <esc-enter> text forms and/or an interactive xmon interface,
ala i,points. For GRASS 7 they'll all have to be converted to be non-
interactive before the i.ortho.photo main menu replacement can be rewritten
in wxPython, or the modules will have to be completely replaced to produce
the needed group/ text files (probably not hard for 50% of them ;).
My feeling is that the existing i.ortho.photo code should be removed from
grass7/trunk, as it is V_ask + Xmon from beginning to end.
If the camera specific parts of it could be isolated, we should be able
to link to the existing GCP selection GUI tool, and farm the number
crunching out to i.rectify, using the group/* files as a guide to what the
wxGUI wizard needs to include.

I have now made them all into proper grass modules with G_parser() support.
I doubt I'll do much more on this beyond dealing with the GDAL/line export
symbol build issue. So if someone else feels keen, by all means go for it..

todo: fix up html generation scripts + Makefiles, and move "photo" help
command section back into "imagery" in tools/build_html_index.sh.

Hamish