[GRASS-user] generalize a map of points

José María Michia jose.maria.michia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:31:26 EDT 2008

2008/10/19 Wolf Bergenheim <wolf+grass en bergenheim.net>:
> José María,
>

>> If possible, I think it would be useful feature the following:
>>
>> - Where two labels overlap, comparing an attribute to decide which one stays
>>
>> For example: on a map of cities you can use the number of inhabitants.
>> If the city "A" has more inhabitants than the city "B", maintaining
>> the label of the city "A".
>
> I have just now committed a change in v.label.sa that will do exactly
> this. See the new overlap parameter. I would appreciate it if you could
> test it, and give some feedback on how it is working for you.

After some drawbacks to update "GRASS," I have achieved some results.

- The command d.labels does not show anything. It seems to run
normally, without error, but the active monitor does not show
anything.

- Working with the GIS Manager ", the labels are displayed well.
However, after exporting the "Display Map" to "raster" labels
disappear from the image (JPG, PPM, and others).

- I got maps with labels using "ps.map". See files attached.

labels_sa_new.pdf : show labels obtained with the command:

$ v.label.sa  map=ciudades_region labels=ciudades_v_label_sa_new
column=LOCALIDAD font=arial overlap=inhab

labels.pdf : show labels obtained with the command:

$ v.label map=ciudades_region labels=ciudades_v.label column=LOCALIDAD
font=arial

The files in "$MAPSET/paint/labels" have the same number of tags. No
label is removed by "v.label.sa."

Please tell me what else I can do, or what other information I can provide it.

Thank you
José María