[GRASS-user] v.select output vector is empty

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 00:18:24 EDT 2008

Kevin Webb wrote:
> I am attempting to execute a "point-in-polygon" process on 2 vectors using
> v.select and the output vector is empty, it contains no value/s.

most likely one of both of the inputs is missing category numbers.

if areas do not have centroids you should add them with v.centroids.
In general add cat numbers to features with v.category.

d.what.vect may help you see if they do or not.
does "v.db.select map_name" show output?

I just added some hints about this to the help page, it's a common gotcha.
 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/34085

Hamish