[GRASS-user] Trouble with ESRI TIGER/LINE Files and Coordinate System

Ryan R. Rosario uclamathguy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 12:36:45 EDT 2008

Ugh. The LINESTRINGs contain the weird coordinates (in the 100000s), not raw
lat/lon.

Extent: (-59948.354015, -457156.354302) - (51189.384222, -322776.485268)

QGIS also uses the weird coordinates as well. gvSIG did as well, until I
changed the measurement unit to "degree." It's GUI for map display is very
similar to QGIS. Is there a such thing switching measurement units to
degrees in GRASS? ;-)

Unfortunately, there is no PRJ file with these shapefiles, which is really
frustrating. The website claims they are NAD83 lat/lon decimal degrees. My
region should be 119W to 121W and 34N to 36N. Could these be UTM
coordinates??

R.