[GRASS-user] Second try, run grass scripts as batch process in Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 25 10:22:03 EDT 2008

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> >> Note that IIRC, the automatic GUI creation for commands without
> >> parameters does not work in Windows (Marco, can you confirm ?). So
> >> just calling 'g.region' will probably not work. Try with 'g.region -p'
> >
> > if you mean: type a command directly in the shell, that is: not in the
> > GRASS Output GUI command line, but from the shell (cmd or msys) that
> > started GRASS (calling the grass63 command)
> >
> > YES, you're definetely right!
>
> That's what I meant. ISTR that this actually worked at one point and
> then stopped working, but I never got around to actually find the problem.

Does it matter whether GRASS_GUI=wxpython or GRASS_GUI=tcltk?

> > then, about creating batch processes for GRASS commands, I suggest to
> > create scripts with a Unix-like syntax and then launch them within a
> > GRASS MSYS session:
>
> Personally, I would prefer if we could avoid using Msys as a crutch.
> IMHO, people should be able to run their scripts in their native
> environment. This is why the best bet is probably to write scripts in
> Python.

Agreed.

I've started re-writing the scripts in 7.0 in Python. For now, I've
left the Bourne-shell versions in place so that people can compare the
two versions for testing purposes. If a Python version exists,
Script.make will install it in preference to the shell script.