[GRASS-user] Re: Hydroligics in grass

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Dec 12 13:08:26 EST 2009

Yes. We've looked at jgrass. It was rather quiescent when we started
out work, but has been re-energized recently.

I agree that it would be nice to have the Java-based "Horton machine"
modules available for the GRASS community. However, as is the case
with all truly open source projects, contribution to GRASS is
voluntary. Moreover, all are free to use GRASS code. But as long as
they comply with the requirements of the GPL, there is no requirement
that they contribute back to the GRASS project. On other hand,
diversity in software development approaches can be a very healthy
thing. Finally, for anyone interested in porting some of these Java
modules back to GRASS I mention a potentially interesting idea. Java
or any other language can work with GRASS (In fact part of the work my
team is doing involves linking up Java-based ABM with GRASS). However,
the current and future versions of GRASS are being optimized to work
especially nicely with Python, including the ability to automatically
generate a GRASS GUI for any Python script. Object oriented Python has
a lot of structural and syntactic similarities to Java. It might not
be to hard to port some of these modules to Python. Just a thought to
toss out there.

Michael