[GRASS-user] r.thin quirk

Dwight Needels needels at translucida.com
Thu Jun 11 00:01:17 EDT 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 11:36 PM, Dwight Needels wrote:

> Hi all. I have run into a quirk using r.thin, but I am not sure
> whether or not it is a bug. I have a raster that was generated from
> multiple GPS tracks using v.rast followed by r.buffer. Using r.thin
> followed by r.to.vect creates a vector that must then be cleaned
> using v.clean to remove dangles (so far, so good).
>
> The quirk is that r.thin occasionally creates a triangle at the
> intersection of two lines instead of two intersecting lines. All of
> the examples I have seen involve relatively acute angles (less than
> 25 degrees??). I have attached a screenshot that shows the raster in
> magenta, the vector with dangles in white, and the cleaned vector as
> (a thinner) green. There are numerous acute angles that generate the
> vectors I would expect, with one exception in the center.
>
> Is this expected behavior? If so, is there an easy way to search for
> all such resulting triangles in a vector or to remove all such extra
> lines in a vector? If not, is there a way to fix it?
>
> Thanks, -Dwight
>
> <r.thin.png>

Although I figured out how to file a bug report on this, http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/636
, I am not sure how to respond directly to comments on the ticket.

Hamish, I used the screenshot showing the vectors because I had
already created it to look for artifacts. The extra line that makes
the triangle is also present in the thinned raster (screenshot
attached).

Thanks, -Dwight