[GRASS-user] v.in.ogr problem

Rafael Moraes rafael.moraes29 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 15:05:38 EDT 2009

Hi you all!

I'm having problems with v.in.ogr. This command fails and stops in the
middle of the process (I'm working on the
http://www.ing.unitn.it/~grass/docs/tutorial_62_en tutorial). The output tab
of this tool says it's "Importing map 1755 features..." but nothing happens
(and terminal don't show me the prompt). When I close v.in.org and ask to
display the "imported" vector, it just shows an insignificant part of the
vector (compared to the picture on tutorial). And the output to d.vect says
that "coor files of vector contours is larger than it should be (239 bytes
excess)" and "cannot display areas, topology not available'. What should
that mean?

I've searched on the mailing list and someone told in a similar situation
that it's probably due to trying to import a big dataset, but I don't think
that's the case because the data is from a tutorial and have been tested.

 I've tried others gdal tools and it worked fine: the OGR Vector Converter
in QGIS (I've tested converting shp->kml) and the gdal_translate and
gdalwarp on terminal.

I'm working in Ubuntu 8.10 and I've installed GRASS through apt. Any guess
of what's wrong (or what I'm doing wrong)?

Thanks

Rafael