[GRASS-user] Reprojecting Vector Map

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Nov 24 23:25:57 EST 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:

> >  True. I completely forgot about this. With a new location/mapset I can
> > now use v.proj to move it over.
>
>    I'm still missing something. Defined a new location (streetsLCC) and
> mapset (rbs). Ran the following command successfully:
>
> GRASS 6.4.0svn (streetsLCC):/usr4/grassbase > v.proj input=streets
> location=streets mapset=rbs output=streets --verbose
>
>    'g.region -p' still shows lat/long after specifying 'g.region
> vect=streets':

g.region will never change the projection. Ordinarily, the projection
never changes once the location has been created.

If you have lat/lon data and want to use LCC, you need to create two
locations: one in lat/lon, one in LCC. Import the lat/lon data to the
lat/lon location, switch to the LCC location, and re-project the data
with v.proj or r.proj.