[GRASS-user] Odd scaling issue with ps.map output and ghostscript ps2pdf

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 27 10:39:42 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 06:19:38AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Hamish wrote:
>
> > no idea, but from now on I'll keep an eye out for it. :) perhaps an A4 vs.
> > Letter papersize adjustment?
>
> Hamish/Tom:
>
>    For my most recent project I did not care at what scale the maps were
> printed as long as the area of interest fit on the page. I noticed that
> while I could specify a scale, ps.map adjusted that scale when the
> PostScript was generated.

I knew of this issue, and was very careful not to try to include more map
than could fit on the 11x17 landscape page at 1:24000.  ps.map does print out
what scale it actually uses, and I always watch to see that it is using what
I asked for.

In this instance I am now completely convinced it's an issue at the print shop,
probably because I'm trying to use margins that are too small and they're
"helpfully" adjusting the size of the image to fix my mistake so the edges
aren't cut off.

 "It is better to live on your feet than to die with your knees."
  -- Mil Millington on running, in Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life