[GRASS-user] r.flow Terminates With Error

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Feb 13 10:12:12 EST 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> Did you compile with LFS (large file support) enabled?
>
> Markus,
>
>   Yes. This came up before and Glynn ensured that LFS was enabled in my
> build.
>
>   In general, is there a way to predict memory and disk space
> requirements
> before initiating processing?
In GRASS 6.5, Markus Metz has implemented a new r.watershed which is
much faster as also handles memory better, (and also can do Multi Flow
Direction analysis).
In his manual it says:
--------------quote---------------------
In-memory mode and disk swap mode
There are two versions of this program: ram and seg. ram is used by
default, seg can be used by setting the -m flag.
The ram version requires a maximum of 31 MB of RAM for 1 million cells.
Together with the amount of system memory (RAM) available, this value
can be used to estimate whether the current region can be processed with
the ram version.
The ram version uses virtual memory managed by the operating system to
store all the data structures and is faster than the seg version; seg
uses the GRASS segmentation library which manages data in disk files.
seg uses only as much system memory (RAM) as specified with the memory
option, allowing other processes to operate on the same system, even
when the current geographic region is huge.
Due to memory requirements of both programs, it is quite easy to run out
of memory when working with huge map regions. If the ram version runs
out of memory and the resolution size of the current geographic region
cannot be increased, either more memory needs to be added to the
computer, or the swap space size needs to be increased. If seg runs out
of memory, additional disk space needs to be freed up for the program to
run. The r.terraflow module was specifically designed with huge regions
in mind and may be useful here as an alternative.
I'll bet that the numbers above for memory requirements also would apply
to GRASS 6.4

--
Micha