[GRASS-user] Raster surface from regularly spaced points

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Fri Feb 19 06:41:09 EST 2010

Thanks Markus!

On 19/02/2010 11:52, Markus Metz wrote:
> You can try the overhauled v.surf.bspline module. You would need to
> svn up to get the new version, available in grass64 and higher.
I was browsing the source code but did not see it
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/vector
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/vector

Am I looking at the wrong spot?

I will probably get it in the next grasswin standalone installer, but I
also need source code to update an heritage cygwin/grass version.

> run v.surf.bspline with the -e flag first to get estimated mean
> distance between points. If your points are not completely but almost
> regularly spaced, multiply the estimated distance by 1.5 and use that
> value for sin and sie.

This is great fine-tuning get me up and running -- thanks.

> BTW, method=bicubic gives much nicer results than method=bilinear.

I think it is slower, isn't it? Not sure how much slower, though.

> To conserve the range of the original data, use a low lambda_i value
> somewhere between 0.01 and 0.1.
>
> I would be really interested if it works for you!

I will let you know. Thanks again,

Luigi