[GRASS-user] r.watershed: Interpreting Visual Output Map

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:51:07 EST 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   When I read the man page for the visual output map of r.watershed I see
> that it's supposed to help me display results. I assume that it does
> this by
> coloring the accumulation of surface runoff with sub-basin sizes
> between 0
> and the threshold value.
Almost right. ...with surface flow accumulation between 0 and the
threshold value.

>   How am I to interpret this map? How does 'surface runoff
> accumulation with
> values modified for easy display' relate to minimum basin size?
All flow accumulation values larger than the threshold value are set to
the threshold value.
> What are the
> units of surface runoff accumulation?
Number of cells draining through a given cell. Converted to squared map
units by multiplying with nsres * ewres, of the flow accumulation map of
course, and first setting the computational region to match the flow
accumulation map with g.region -p rast=<my_flow_acc>. -p to check that
everything is all right.