[GRASS-user] Warning message while using r.in.gdal

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:14:49 EST 2010

António Rocha wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have Location/Mapset with this characteristics:
> g.region
> -p
> projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
> zone:       0
> datum:      wgs84
> ellipsoid:  wgs84
>
> I'm I'm trying to import a file with the following geographic
> characteristics (using gdalinfo):
> Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
> Files: euro_area_latlong.tif
> Size is 1721, 595
> Coordinate System is:
> GEOGCS["WGS 84",
>    DATUM["unknown",
>        SPHEROID["unnamed",6378137,298.2572235629972]],
>    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
>    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]]
>

> When I do r.in.gdal, to import this file, I get the following Warning:
> Datum <unknown> not recognised by GRASS and no parameters found
> Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match
>
> It imports but it wasn't suppose to get this error since i'm using the
> same coordinate/projection system.
No, because datum unkown does not match datum wgs84 and speroid
(ellipsoid) unnamed does not match ellipsoid wgs84 although
SPHEROID["unnamed",6378137,298.2572235629972]] describes ellipsoid
wgs84. If you can confirm that the datum of the raster to be imported is
indeed wgs84, everything should be all right, otherwise set up a new
location with the CRS of the raster to be imported.

Markus M