[GRASS-user] Attribute table combination

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 1 19:37:27 EST 2010

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Lyle E. Browning wrote:

> I'm trying to combine several attribute tables into one, or failing that,
> get them into GRASS so that they can be queried. Is there an idiot level
> explanation of how one takes a shape file and combines it with several
> disparate attribute files such that one can then bring it into GRASS and
> wreak havoc on the resultant dataset?

Lyle,

   I suggest that you don't want to combine all tables into a single table.
Rather, create a relational database (I suggest using SQLite) that holds all
the tables, one for each attribute category. You can learn about SQLite from
the Web site, <http://www.sqlite.org/>. This rdbms creates a stand-alone
file great for single-user use. It's used by Mozilla, Apple, and a bunch of
other big names in software so you know it's a solid tool. It's a lot easier
to learn, install, and administer than are client/server dbms's such as
PostgreSQL.

   If you need to learn how to build a database (e.g., data normalization)
such information is readily available on the Web. SQLite is supported by
GRASS.

Rich