[GRASS-user] Landscape Ecology Modules

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jan 3 20:48:14 EST 2010

   My reading of the man pages and wiki tell me that the r.le modules have
been deprecated and are being replaced by the r.li series. Both look like
powerful analytical tools.

   They are designed for terrestrial landscapes; has anyone used them for
aquatic systems? For example in lotic systems (streams and rivers) it is
sometimes very useful to look at the riffle:pool ratios and relative
sizes and spacing of riffles, runs, and pools. Bare bank and banks with
overhanging vegetation also provide different habitats. Linear and
off-channel wetlands are another landscape element that should be
incorporated into a comprehensive analysis. Similarly, lentic systems
(reservoirs, lakes, vernal pools) could also be analyzed for habitat
patchiness, fragmentation, and other measures.

   If there are references to such applications I'd greatly appreciate a
pointer to them.

TIA,

Rich