[GRASS-user] Searching Docs about 3D geological modelisation

Christian Kaiser Christian.Kaiser at unil.ch
Fri Jan 8 09:38:10 EST 2010

It seems to me that this is a 3D interpolation problem with categorical variables.

Maybe the Bayesian Maximum Entropy approach could help. There are some interesting publications around also for geology and soil sciences, and they can deal with categorical data as well. Look for example here: http://www.enge.ucl.ac.be/staff/curr/Bogaert/biblioBME/BMEbibsubject.html#Soil%20Science

Or maybe you can have a look at SGeMS (http://sgems.sourceforge.net), a tool for 3D geostatistics.

None of them is available through GRASS, but the algorithms are freely available (I think open-source, but not verified).

I am not a geologist, so please forgive if it is not adequate...

Christian Kaiser