[GRASS-user] Defining Minimum Mapping Units

Luis Lisboa luislisboa1975 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 13:03:34 EST 2010

Greetings all

I've been reading a Remote Sensing classic "Remote Sensing and Image
intepretation" by Lillesand and Kiefer. :)
By Those guys Minimum Mapping Units are the smallest size areal entity to be
mapped as a discrete area.
They also state that: The size of a minimum area that can be mapped as any
particular land use/land cover class depends on the scale and resolution of
the satellite images."
Ok, now my "situation" :). I need to produce a few land cover maps, after
classification, with an aggregation of a defined minimum mapping unit(MMU)
for a scale of 1:50000. As far as I can see, I would say that MMU would be
minumum size of a polygon that can be mapped. For istance what Would I have
to do to aggregate a classification map with a minimum area of 20 km^2?

Thanks

Best regards