[GRASS-user] v.what.rast with centroids

Dave Roberts dvrbts at ecology.msu.montana.edu
Thu Jun 10 13:40:55 EDT 2010

Friends,

I have an vector area map with numerous polygons with centroids.  When I do

v.what.rast vector=A raster=B column=C

It appears to run, but doesn't actually enter any data into column C in
the associated table in Postgres.  Reading the help file, I suspect this
is because A is an area instead of a point map, but the areas do have
centroids which I would expect v.what.rast to employ.

I could import the centroids as a separate points map, but then they're
not associated with the table in Postgres.

What's considered best practices in associating polygon centroids with
other rasters or vector areas?

Thanks, Dave