[Fwd: [GRASS-user] r.cost vs. costallocation (arcgis)]

António M . Rodrigues amrodrigues at fcsh.unl.pt
Sun Mar 14 19:51:24 EDT 2010

Hi,
I'll try to explain the concepts used (sorry for not being clear in previous messages)

Cost surface: input raster map whose cell category value represent cost (from r.cost). Example: time
spent to cross a given cell, depending on slope, road type, etc.
Accessibilty surface: a raster containing the cumulative cost of moving from each cell in the study
area (whose value is not null) to a set of chosen targets. For example, I have used this methodology
to calculate travel distances to the nearest hospital.

Allocation surface / grid: a raster whose value of each cell is the code of the nearest target. Example:
If the possible targets are hospital 1 and 2, each cell in the allocation surface will contain values 1 or
2, depending on which is the nearest hospital.

I use this "cost surface methodology" in cases where the road network I have is not complete
(missing regional and municipal roads), hence making it impossible to calculate time distances from
rural areas to the nearest "target" using network analysis.

The "allocation surfaces" are essential when I want to cross demographic data (from census tracts)
with time distances. It is important to know, for example, for a given hospital, how many people live
5 minutes away, 10 minutes, etc. Of course the allocation surfaces are only important when I have
multiple targets (ie. hospitals)

I have used already r.cost and it works fine (slow, but that's no susprise given the raster resolution
and the size of the study area). My problem is that r.cost only outputs the "accessibility surface" (not
the allocation grid). Now, intuitively, I would say it should not be too difficult to get the code of the
nearest target, since r.cost "must know" this information (the algorithm must chose the nearest
target).

I was surprised r.cost didn't provide this information (allocation surface), since this is quite standard
output when using this methodology with arcinfo (using a function called costdistance); but yes, I'm
quite sure there must be a way of doing this in GRASS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
António

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:16:39 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote