[GRASS-user] Large File Support (LFS)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Mar 20 14:31:58 EDT 2010

John Tate wrote:

> I complied and installed grass6.4 with large file support (ubuntu9.10 on a
> 32bit machine). All went well with no errors. I ran my lidar script to test
> it, and straight away failed on the 3.4Gb ascii file import with r.in.xyz to
> get stats. I tried a 500Mb file and it was fine.
>
> I found this: http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Large_File_support
>
> and guess that is I why I never had a problem on my 64bit machine.
>
> What is the current state over this issue? Is there an easy fix (considering I
> am still relatively new to linux), or do I have to wait for the completion of
> the wish list on the wiki? What are the likely timescales? Is this an issue
> with grass7 also?

In 7.0, --enable-largefile causes everything to be compiled with
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. Most uses of fseek/ftell have been replaced
with G_fseek() and G_ftell(), which accept and return an off_t, and
which use fseeko/ftello where available.

I have no idea whether widespread LFS will make it into 6.x.