[GRASS-user] Re:Using v.colors in WinGRASS

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 08:07:21 EST 2010

Hi,

2010/11/9 Achim Kisseler <ak7 at jupiter.uni-freiburg.de>:

> vector-map - layers - categories - database-connection: thats a bit
> confusing, but manageble:

why confusing?

Vector object categories and attribute management
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/vectorintro.html

>> 2- Since this is a vector, created from a raster (r.to.vect) can I add a
>> table when I create the vector?
>
> No, thats what I dont like, too

v.addtable

>> 3- How can I define a table in order to be used by v.colors?

v.addcol (but v.colors creates a new column if needed)

E.g.

$ g.region rast=basin_50K
$ r.to.vect input=basin_50K output=basin_50K feature=area -v
$ v.db.connect -p map=basin_50K
Vector map <basin_50K at user1> is connected by:
layer <1> table <basin_50K> in database
</home/landa/grassdata/nc_spm_08/user1/dbf/> through driver <dbf> with
key <cat>

Well, there is already attribute table linked, no need to add new one
using `v.db.addtable`.

$ v.colors map=basin_50K column=cat color=random
$ v.db.select map=basin_50K
cat|label|GRASSRGB
2||82:38:146
4||108:165:51