[GRASS-user] Questions Re. Grass63 and Fedora 13

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 22:03:32 EDT 2010

Hi Terry,

> I have installed Grass 6.3 (from the fedora repository) on
> a fedora 13 x86_64 system. I would have liked to have tried
> 6.4 but at this stage no one has a 6.4 package available for
> fc13 and I avoid installing anything unless it is via the
> package manager.

for what it's worth, if built from source all of grass lives
in one directory, with only a small wrapper startup script
written to /usr/local/bin/. So it's not a source of too much
filesystem clutter and easy to clean up. It could even live in
your home dir.

6.4 is well worth the trouble of the upgrade..

> I have yet to get back up to speed, but my initial
> experiences using the North Carolina sample dataset,
> indicate that there may be some display problems with my
> installation. Raster display is incredibly slow. I was
> seeing Much faster rendering of raster maps back in the days
> of Grass3 and Grass4.
> Is this a known issue with 6.3, or the fedora package?

probably your region resolution is set too fine. try 'g.region
rast=map_of_interest -p'. try to keep things under 40000x40000,
but for just looking at it on a monitor anything more than the
display (say 1500x1200) is just going to slow you down.

> I have some datasets from Grass4 and Grass5, and have tried
> to access them but Grass63 doesn't appear to recognise them
> as legitimate datasets. Can someone please point me to
> advice on how I might access this data?

In GRASS 6 the vector engine was replaced with a much more
powerful version, and the format changed with it. There's a
v.convert.all module which will convert all the old format
vector maps to GRASS 6 format.

Old point data (sites) have joined vector data now, use the
v.in.sites.all modules to convert them. (or without the ".all"
to just bring one map in)

raster maps should still work as before.

> Well done to all who help with the Grass development.

cheers and I hope you enjoy all the new improvements,

Hamish