[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS

Saber Razmjooei razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 03:59:01 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 17:28 +1100, azadeh farjadnejad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a software developer and I am working on a forestry application
> involving remote sensing, 3D spatial modeling and image analysis for
> processing full-waveform airborne laser scanner (or lidar) data.
>
> I am looking for a high performance open source library for that.
>
> I want to know
>
> 1- Can I use GRASS GIS libraries to develop my own application?
You can, but like all other software you need to comply with its
license. GRASS is released under GPL
(http://grass.fbk.eu/intro/general.php) here is more on GPL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

> 2- Do I have any limitation to choose any programming languages if I
> only want to use GIS libraries to develop my application?
The core of GRASS is in C, C++. For scripting you can choose Python.

> 3- What if I use Windows platform. Do I still have the capability of
> using libraries with the same performance and speed?
I guess yes, but I haven't used it under windows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILWIS