[GRASS-user] Re: QGIS GRASS plugin shadedrelief issue

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Sep 23 09:35:20 EDT 2010

On 09/23/2010 10:18 AM, nunosousa84 wrote:
> Thank you Maris. Well i was able to recover it yesterday. I will put here the
> error it gave me than the v.build solution. I have posted this in QGIS
> forum:
>
> ""This is what it gives back:
>
> "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'QgsGrass::Exception'
> what(): Unable to open vector map<cntouca_grassvector at relevo>  on level 2.
> Try to rebuild vector topology by v.build.
> Aborted """
>
> Then i runed v.rebuild:
>
> ""So i tried v.build:
>
> Coor files of vector map<cntouca_grassvector at relevo>  is larger than it
> should be (551 bytes excess)
>
> Building topology for vector map<cntouca_grassvector>...
>
> Registering primitives...
>
> 540 primitives registered
> Number of boundaries: 1
>
> Number of centroids: 0
> Building topology for vector map<cntouca_grassvectorrebuild2>...
>

> Number of centroids: 0
>
> Number of areas: 0
>
> Number of isles: 0
>
> Number of incorrect boundaries: 1
>
> Number of primitives: 1
>
> Number of points: 0
>
> Number of lines: 0
>
> Number of boundaries: 1
>
> 0 areas built
>
> 0 isles built
>
> Attaching islands...
>
> Attaching centroids...
>

> Number of nodes: 2
>
> Registering primitives...
>
> 1 primitives registered
>
> 2 vertices registered
>
> Building areas...
>

> Number of areas: 0
>
> Number of isles: 0
>
> Number of incorrect boundaries: 1
>

> 23243 vertices registered
>
> Building areas...
>

> 0 areas built
>
> 0 isles built
>
> Attaching islands...
>
> Attaching centroids...
>

> Number of nodes: 692
>
> Number of primitives: 540
>
> Number of points: 19
>
> Number of lines: 520
>
> So apparently the layer is back again and working, for now :-). It seems the
> file (coor) has a storing limit capacity that was surpassed (makes some
> sense cause it happened just when i was adding a vector point)? By the way i
> notice one think. When trying to open the recovered grass vector layer it
> seems he automatically devided it in two (one for the lines and one for the
> points). Well the problem is how am i gona edit a line/point layer (to solve
> those flat top surfaces)? I could use lines too but the effects would be
> similar (flat surfaces but smaller). Im afraid i will have to try your
> suggestion Sab (v.digit). I will see it tomorrow morning. For now thank you.

I think Hamish mentioned this procedure:
First digitize a new point vector map of the peaks, with elevation in an
attrib. column. Then convert the points to raster, using the elevation
attribute as raster value. Now merge this new "point" raster (it should
have values of zero everywhere except the cells at mountain peaks) with
your rasterized contours map. And finally recreate the DEM from this
combined contour+peaks raster.

--
Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918