[GRASS-user] From pointcloud to dem - help‏

Jorn Anke jornanke at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:28:35 EST 2011

Dear all,

I have been trying to import a pointcloud into GRASS, by
following Markus' direction as quoted below. The import of the pointcloud into
GRASS works fine, but since I am quite new to GRASS, I have problems with the
next logical steps - and in producing any meaningfull/viewable results.

have uploaded the pointcloud-file: pc_xyzrgb.txt at a forum;
http://uavmapping.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0

It  would be great if
anyone would download the pointcloud and post a few examples of how to produse
and display results. (Besides explanaition of the
steps).

Background:
I have been writing a software/tool for
georeferencing pointclouds from MS Photosynth/PMVS, by the use of 3D affine
transformation. The objective is to use GRASS to produce digital elevation
models out of the pointclouds, and to output the dem's into file-formats
suitable for distribution to end
users.

Jørn,
jornanke at hotmail.com

> Date: Wed, 12
Jan 2011 15:29:41 +0100
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] From pointcloud to dem
- help
jornanke at hotmail.com

Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Jorn Anke <jornanke at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > Dear Grass users,

have a pointcloud form PMVS

(http://grail.cs.washington.edu/software/pmvs/) consisting of near to 6

> million points.
> >
> > The pointclouddata is
georeferenced into world-coordinates (EUREF-89), and
> > stored in a
text file with the following format: X Y Z R G B. (RGB colordata

can be deleted if required).

> > What I want to do is to
import the pointcloud into Grass 7.0, and to
> > generate a surface
modell/ dem, and to export the dem to a common
> > file-format, e.g.
ESRI SHP or Land-XML.

> > I am quite new to Grass, so I
would very much appreciate a brief description
> > of the steps I will
need to go through in order to obtain this.

> First, import
the point cloud with v.in.ascii. You can then filter the
> points with the
lidar tools to remove outliers (v.outlier) and obtain
> a digital terrain
model and a digital surface model
> (v.lidar.edgedetection,
v.lidar.growing, v.lidar.correction). The
> v.surf.* modules can create a
(raster) DEM by interpolating the
> points. GRASS prefers raster maps for
surface/terrain representation;